It’s been a few months since our last newsletter, and we trust this finds you well and in good health. There are many proud updates for us to share with you today but first we want to start with gratitude.
As we find ourselves approaching the start of summer, we wanted to send our deepest thanks to our amazing After-School, Learning Extension Center (LEC), and Early Learning Center (ELC) staff and volunteers who made what was a very difficult year for our youngest community members to one that was filled with joy, excitement and yes, lots of learning.
“For months many of these students were isolated, and that starts to take a toll on them. The LEC allowed these students to get the support they needed for their education, but also created a space that they could socialize,” said Tommy Ferguson, Education Coordinator for St. Stephen’s Community House.
We also had a special group of pre-k students graduate in June! The group has been together since they were babies in our infant classroom! The group of 4 have such a close bond with each other and the staff. Ms. Renee Carmichael, who has been with the group since infancy, shared a few words from a poem titled, “Goodbye.” It reads in part,
I’ve watched you learn and grow
And change from day to day.
I hope that all the things we’ve done
Have helped in some small way.
We sincerely thank our education staff for being ‘lights of hope’ in a crazy year of unknowns. They are truly special people who care for the most precious of our community. We wish the best of luck to the rising kindergarteners and their families!
What’s Happening and What’s Ahead
- We are happy to announce that we will be holding our 30th Annual Bravo Celebration: A Story of Impact virtually through the month of September concluding with a reduced capacity in-person celebration on October 8th! After a year apart we are looking forward to seeing you in the fall. More details to come! Stay Tuned!
- Our A.M.P. (Achieve More and Prosper) Program participants continue to flourish and inspire us every day! We currently have 204 active participants in the program—and 93% of our high school senior participants graduated with 54% of them committed to colleges and 2 seniors enlisting in the military.
- We are so excited to welcome back our community to our first Linden Community Family Dinner since the start of the pandemic! Join us on June 24th from 6-8 PM All are welcome!
- Our Food and Nutrition Center continues to be busy seeing on average 400 families a week. We are always looking for volunteers! Sign up by clicking here.
- Our Summer STEM Camp kicked off on June 21st and we are looking forward to having all of our students back! If you are interested in signing your child up—give us a call at 614-294-6347!
- St. Stephen’s Community House along with 3 other Columbus Federation of Settlements members received a $1 Million dollar portion of a $4 Million dollar grant from COHHIO. You can read more by clicking here.
There is so much more to tell you—but its always better to see it in person. If you are looking to learn more about St. Stephen’s Community House, how you can get involved as a volunteer or donor please give Natalie Atkins a call at 614-294-6347 to schedule a tour.
We wish all of you a wonderful summer full of fun and blessings!